The Manufacturing Productivity Extension Program (MPEX) assists small and medium enterprises (SMEs) in the manufacturing sector to attain and sustain higher productivity. The Department of Science and Technology Regional Office No. XII (DOST XII) fields productivity consultancy teams composed of industrial engineers and experts to undertake productivity consultancy services throughout the region.
To promote productivity increases in manufacturing firms to make their products more competitive both in price and quality in both the world and local markets.
To identify strategies to improve productivity of SMEs;
To recommend productivity improvement measures for immediate implementation; and
To develop capability to provide other forms of technical assistance to the manufacturing sector.
How firms can avail of the MPEX program?
Manufacturing firms may apply directly to DOST XII or may be endorsed by the Provincial Science and Technology Centers (PSTCs) nearest their area or DTI XII.
Participation to the program is free of charge. However, full commitment and cooperation of the firm beneficiary is required specially in sharing relevant information with the consultancy team.
How are firms screened?
Interested firms are required to accomplish criteria forms which are provided in the PSTCs.
Potential firm beneficiaries are evaluated on the total number of workers, value of business, annual volume of production, size of factory and more importantly on potential interventions of MPEX.
Owners/representatives of potential firm beneficiaries are then invited to a matching session for interview and evaluation. DOST XII shall be responsible for the certification and selection of final firm beneficiaries.
DOST XII conducts matching of selected firms with MPEX teams.
Firms that are successfully matched officialy signify their agreement to the terms of the MPEX program by signing a commitment contract.
Size of Firms to be Assisted (in terms of total assets):
- Cottage Enterprises (less than 1.5M )
- Small Enterprises (Above 1.5M to P15 M)
- Medium Enterprises (Above P15M but less than P100 M )
- Manufacturing Sectors Covered:
- Agro and Food Processing
- Gifts, Decors and Housewares
- Information Technology
- Material Based (Wood, Bamboo, Minerals, Leather)
- Metals and Engineering (auto parts, machinery, components)
- Each MPEX team prepares a work program for DOST XII’s approval
- Each firm designates their own personnel to assist the MPEX team during project implementation.
- Basic performance indicators to be assessed/ measured at the start of the consultancy include capacity utilization, output per worker, wastage levels, existing manufacturing and related operations.
- An assessment of product design and packaging, materials used, processes and operations involved, machines and equipment used, plant and other facilities, layouts, production planning and control system, quality control system, overall organization and human resource utilization, as well as support services employed will be done.
The MPEX team in consultation with the firm identifies areas where potential for productivity improvement is great.
The MPEX team then carries out an in-depth analysis of the selected productivity improvement concern/s and formulates recommendations for implementation of firm beneficiary.
If needed, services of technology experts in relevant to the firm’s operations will also be tapped.
Recommendations are discussed and validated with the firms’ management and whenever possible, implemented immediately.
A technical report shall be submitted by the team to DOST XII at the end of the consultancy documenting the assessment, analysis, evaluation and recommendations made.
Each productivity consultancy shall be completed within three (3) man-months from contract signing including one (1) man-month for installation of recommendations.
Firm level reports are treated with utmost confidentiality. Any information regarding the consultancy cannot be divulged without the consent of the firm.
- Productivity Improvement Concerns
- Capacity Utilization
- Wastage Levels
- Product Design and Packaging
- Production Planning and Control
- Materials Management System
- Quality Control Assurance System
- Safety and Housekeeping Practices/Facilities
- Financial Systems and Control
- Human Resource Utilization
- Manufacturing System
- Processes and Operations
- Machine and Equipment Utilization
- Plant Maintenance